Wednesday 10 March 2010

Publicity/postcard/invite

14/03.... I really like the look of this layout and design. I like the way the book starts on the cover. Been thinking more about it. Almost contrary to what I said before..I think it should be simple and direct. Home-made. A bit old-fashioned but I think the title should be on the front along with a list of the contributors. Nothing enigmatic, no metaphors etc. Just allow it to be a postcard/invite. No smart-arsed antics. No over-the-top cut and paste, punky aesthetics either. Anyway, shall post it when it's made.







Hello all,

Well, it's about 12 weeks to go until we install our work at Blyth; 12 weeks in which to pull together and attempt to make it work as a group project. The first creative obstacle is the invite/postcard which has to be ready for the end of March.

I am not really interested in the postcard containing a snapshot of one of our works, or even an abstract close-up. It's too illustrative and not interactive enough.

Anyone got any ideas?

My initial thoughts are that it should contain the fingerprints of the artists involved made visible using a light coating of dust. I will have to do a few experiments to see whether it has any clout as a piece of visual ephemera but I like the way it draws us together, while apart. Alternatively, the postcard could be white and printed with a special ink which reveals the 'image' under certain conditions, or which perhaps reveals itself over time. I also like the idea of something semi-random. The word: 'Bee' - a social insect, a group worker. How might we each represent it using a biro on paper. The results could form the final design of our publicity... a sort of doodle, if you like. In a time when people are talking about relational aesthetics perhaps it's not too pedantic a concern.

Please feel free to post your own ideas. But please respond soon as this deadline is looming. Also, say if you have any objections to your address being known to the other artists in the show (applicable if we go ahead with my idea, or something similar).

3 comments:

  1. Hi all, I think the fingerprint idea is a bit much on second thoughts. I tried it, it looked rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about "an exquisite corpse' idea which sort of reflects your idea of all finger prints?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carolyn...I like 'exquisite corpse' although I'm concerned about time. Add to that, I think the nature of the exhibition has changed for me. I am more realistic about what can actually take place. Initially I wanted us to collaborate and literally splice our work together. I think that would be an almost impossible plan even if we all shared a studio. Also, it's not easy with competing egos etc. The notion we might all agree is not very likely. I think the choice of The Waste Land to base this show on is, when I think about it, a symbolic one. The waste Land is a poem about city life.. an impossible community. You can achieve a better understanding of the poem if you understand this perspective. By choosing to build our exhibition around Eliot's poem I'm admitting the group show is a difficult thing to make work because of the separation between the contributors. Eliot's poem is exciting partly because it fails to draw together its bit-parts into a coherent whole. Its success is in returning a convincing portrait of the city back to us. London is constantly evolving which is often a pain for its inhabitants, but it means London is never a museum like Rome or Paris. It's disjointed, messy - it fails, fails, fails. It works. I love it, I hate it. It's enough, I think, that we are showing our works against a backdrop of other works. Alone in a crowd...that's what the group show is. Must go...have washing up to do!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers